Branchport United Methodist Church

Living in Love and Harmony

Pastor History (as of 2010)

    A class was formed in 1815 at Brown’s Mills: Leader- Isaac Kinney of  Kinney’s  Corners and was maintained until the class was finally moved to Branchport and with Isaac Kinney as leader they eventually directed the construction of a building in Branchport, Town of Jerusalem.  “A building was purchased from, Nettle Valley and moved to Branchport where it was recon-structed and fitted for a pleasant place for worship,” according to historical records  written during the tenure of  J. Harold Riggle, 1938-47.

  Religious classes in Town Jerusalem were formed in 1838 with leaders- John Dorman, William T, Moore, Isaac Purdy  & A.J. Brown

   Pastors since formation of The First Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Branchport 1866 are:


1866- Schuyler Sutherland

1867- Solomon Wetzell

1868-69- C. Dillenbeck

1869-71- Phil Cowles

1871-72- A.D.Edgar

1872- 75 - J.J. Payne

1875-78- R.D. Phillips

1878-79- Charles  E. Hermans

  (The original church near the road burned, 1879. After being invited to join the Baptist Society for church the following Sunday, a meeting was held to discuss rebuilding the church away from the road .  The new building was completed during the tenure of S. C. Hatmaker,  and still stands in 2010)

1879-82- S.C. Hatmaker

1882-85- R. D. Phillips;

1885-86-R.H. Leake

1886-90- J.H. Sackett

1890- 92-G.W. Reynolds

1892-95- Uriah S. Hall

1895- 96- Philip H. Riegel. (later became DS)

1896-98-W.E. Rippey

1898-1900- P.H. Riegel      (returned after DS tenure)

1900-1903- Edward S. Annable

1903-07- Kirk F. Richardson

1907-09- William D. Shepherd

1909-14- Edward M. Cullinan

1914-17-Charles A. Willson

1917-22- George H. Winkworth

1922-23- W. Herbert Moore

1923-25-Francis Windnagle

1925-27- James N. Eberly

1927-29- W. Carleton Stevens  (Electric lights added)

1929-31- W.C.B. Turner

1931-35- Charles A. Smith

1935-38- C. Lacey VanNorman

1938-47- J. Harold Riggle

1947-50- Ernest T. Butterfield

1950- (Nov).-54- Charles  I. Walker

Nov.1954- 55- Lester Bascom Interim Lay Pastor

1955-59- Orrie Stanton

1959-67-Charles L. Banks

1967- Nov. 68- Daniel T. Benedict

March 1968-70- Raymond Smith

1970-73- Charles Tyler

1973-76- Raymond Hill

1976-80- Theodore Bleck

1980-82- Margie Mayson (first woman pastor in the charge)

1982-83-Shirley Case

1983-84- Bryce Blair

1984-89-William Mudge

1989-present date 2010 -Barbara J Gifford

   A Cooperative Parish was formed in ‘89 with Italy Valley, Friend , Branchport and Bluff Point

1989-94- Assistant, Maxine Peek - took sabbatical leave in 94.

 1994-Cooperative Parish broken down to Italy Valley/Branchport, pastor Gifford;  Friend/Yatesville, pastor Renee Carillo; and Bluff Point,  with Lay Pastor Bruce Westerdahl,  struck out on their own after having been yoked with Branchport for many, many years

1992- Renovations of new in-floor heating system and restoration on foundations of the church walls, as well as new entrance platform and accessibility ramp were made possible by the generous gift of a member of the church. Dedication was held and praise and glory to God extended during the service.

1990- New roofing replaced the original slate roof. Work was done by local Mennonites.

2009- Damaged slate on the bell tower was replaced and tower was refurbished because of animal damages.

United Methodist News

United Methodist News RSS Feed

07 December 2021

The latest news from the United Methodist News Service.

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

United Methodist Worship

Feed not found.